You’re invited to a Sisters of the Road House Party this Saturday March 29, at 5:30 at the Loaves and Fishes Center at SE Center and Milwaukie.
Light snacks and refreshments will be served. Come learn about this legendary Portland institution.
Sisters of the Road Cafe opened in 1970 by Sandy Gooch and Genevieve Nelson. It’s a safe, hospitable space which offers delicious, nourishing food to the homeless population of Portland. They are located at 133 NW 6th Avenue.
Come find out more about this safe haven!
- People barter for their meals
- Sisters of the Road was instrumental in changing federal law
- Their book, Voices from the Street, compiled from 600 interviews with people experiencing homelessness is now used by social service organizations, faith communities, and government workers.
- They recently expended into the adjacent space
- 7,300 hours were donated by volunteers last year
Sisters of the road is funded 74% by donations–your donation is appreciated.