Neighbors are setting up 2 stations equipped with coolers filled with ice and water, on Saturday, June 26th, and Sunday, June 27th from 1pm to 6pm:
- Brooklyn Park
- Powell Park
If you’re going by either park, please check in on the coolers & refresh ice + waters! Other items welcomed: Ice packs, coconut water, non-chemical sunscreen, aloe vera gel.
Also — have healthy, heat resistant snacks? Drop them off at the Milwaukie & Gideon free fridge & pantry near the MAX station!
Open 24 hours thru Monday, June 28th:
- Oregon Convention Center, 960 NE 1st Ave
- Arbor Lodge Shelter: 1952 N Lombard St
- Sunrise Center: 18901 E Burnside St
Open noon to 8pm on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday:
- Midland Library: 805 SE 122nd Ave
- Capitol Hill Library: 10723 SW Capitol Hwy
- Gresham Library: 385 NW Miller Ave
- Kenton Library: 8226 N Denver Ave
- Holgate Library: 7905 SE Holgate Blvd
Open Monday, June 28th, noon to 9pm, and Tuesday, June 29th, noon to 5pm:
- Multnomah County Friends: 4312 SE Stark St
Other spaces that may have AC:
- Lloyd Center Mall: 2201 Lloyd Center in NE Portland
- Powell’s Books Downtown: 1005 W Burnside St
- MAX Trains + TriMet Buses
If you need transportation, call 211.
Keeping cool and hydrated
- Open windows at night to let in cool breeze, then shut them in the morning and close blinds
- If you have fans, run them intermittently during hottest parts of day and in the evening
- Minimize alcohol intake and increase water consumption + coconut water & low sugar electrolyte drinks
- If possible, eat foods that do not need to be cooked on the stove + fresh, cold foods like: melons, grapes, & cucumbers
- Check in on elderly neighbors, friends & family, unhoused folks, and those with compromised immune systems or disabilities
- Create a free hydration station with a cooler, ice, and waters in a shady spot. Set out cool water for animal companions.
- Donate boxed and bottled water to service providers and free fridges. The nearest one to Brooklyn is at Milwaukie & Gideon.
- During intense heatwaves, the power grid becomes strained. Try to conserve energy when safe to do so.