Last Thursday, March 9, 2023, Mayor Wheeler announced that 1490 SE Gideon Street in the Clinton Triangle would be the first sanctioned campsite in the city. The boards of the Brooklyn Action Corps or Hosford-Abernathy Neighborhood District were not notified prior to this announcement, despite the site’s proximity to our neighborhood and location in HAND. Eric Cress of the Central Eastside Industrial Council gave a statement about CEID’s “90-day reset” at the press conference, even though the CEID does not extend to the sanctioned camping area.
The BAC is hosting an online conversation with Mayor Wheeler and Urban Alchemy this Friday, March 17, 2023 from 2:30 to 4PM. You can find details in our calendar. This meeting will be recorded.
There are two more informational sessions scheduled for next week.Those are separate sessions.
If you have questions, you may submit them through this form. Please limit each submission to one question or a set of related questions. You may see the questions which have been curated already; they have not been prioritized or categorized. This is a living document.
Here’s the non-paywalled coverage this news has received.
- KOIN, by Michaela Bourgeois and Liz Burch: ‘Action starts today’: Wheeler announces first homeless shelter site in camp plan
- KGW, by Anthony Macuk: Mayor Wheeler confirms first large-scale, city-sanctioned homeless camp site in Southeast Portland
- Portland Mercury, by Isabella Garcia: Portland’s First Sanctioned Mass Homeless Camp Expected to Open This Summer in Central Eastside
- KATU, by staff, Portland mayor reveals details about sanctioned camping sites, potential first location
- KATU, by Eric Mock, People in Portland’s Brooklyn neighborhood mixed on sanctioned homeless camping site (features interviews with your neighbors Jesse Keller and Jim Houser)
- OPB by Alex Zielinski, OPB, Portland Mayor Wheeler unveils first location for city-run homeless camp
- OBP by Tiffani Camhi, Who is the California group bidding to operate homeless camps in Portland?